It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Doom thrash
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:45 pm 
UNLIMITED THRASHER
UNLIMITED THRASHER

I made a fast research and it seems there's no topic about it in the thrash can.

I just would like to know more quality stuff in this style.

I love Celtic Frost / Hellhammer, Dream Death and Jim Jones and the Kool Ade Kids, 3 bands which were already mentionned here in T.U. and I also know Seventh Angel (which was also mentionned).

There's this band called Death Mask, which is quite thrashy IMO (don't really know if we can label it doom thrash).

Also there are a lot of Celtic Frost/Hellhammer "worship" bands which are pretty cool like Warhammer.

So if you know good bands, or want to make a top list of your favorite bands/albums in this style, or want to make some recommendations, even if it's more thrashy doom than real doom thrash, I'd be glad.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Doom thrash
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:09 pm 
THRASH MANIAC
THRASH MANIAC

Doom...thrash?

Lucyyy, you has some 'splainin' to doooo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:34 pm 
UNLIMITED THRASHER
UNLIMITED THRASHER

Ambrosius wrote:
Doom...thrash?

Lucyyy, you has some 'splainin' to doooo.

Not much 'splainin' to be done except for listening to the mentioned examples, which are taken from previous discussions on this subject.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:42 pm 
THRASH LUNATIC
THRASH LUNATIC

Well Vermin old chum there's really not a whole lot more to be had to be honest but how about.....

Deathmass - Hailing from Pittsburgh (home of the almighty Dream Death) their Prolonging the Inevitable demo comes highly reccomended.

Excruciation - Swiss band who come across as sort of a German thrash (think early Kreator) mixed with Celtic Frost kind of band. I have the Last Judgement EP and it kicks quite a bit of ass. The band put out several demos but broke up in 1991. Reunited in 2005 they now play gothic horseshit of which everything they have released should be avoided like the clap.

Ritual of Agony - Des Moines, IA band comes off as Dream Death with Bob Mayo of Wargasm on lead vocals with the Half Past Dead demo being highly reccommended for that very reason.

Leprosy (NY) - Extremely raw and low-fi Celtic Frost worship albeit with a bit more pep in it's step. If you can stand the occasional dead air, background mumbling and instrument noodling while the recorder was running than seek this out as it's not to bad, not great either, but not bad.

Glycine Max - Crusty version of Dream Death would be the best way to describe them as they come off as HC Punk meets Celtic Frost on Violent Mind/ /Peaceful Heart, their only release.

Cyber Kultur - These Texan doom/thrashers deliver a sort of more Solitude Aeturnus'ish approach to their Celtic Frost worship or at least the vocals lend it a more epic feel IMO. Not too shabby, although a bit of a deviation from the standard doom/thrash style.

Exitus - Fairly solid Finnish doom/thrash although it leans a bit more to the DOOOOM side of things or at least on the Statutum Est Hominibus Mori demo it does. In fact one could call this doom/death only not nearly death metally enough if that makes any sense.

Apparition (NY) - Death/thrash band that dabbles in some DOOOOMIER bits throughout most songs. I have all of their demos of which the 1988 demo as well as Human Fear are my favorites.

[smilie=beer.gif]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:00 pm 
UNLIMITED THRASHER
UNLIMITED THRASHER

Interesting...Never heard of this term used before. Some of the bands mentioned here are definitely fantastic though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:04 pm 
Stage Diver
Stage Diver

Pastor Of Muppets wrote:
Well Vermin old chum there's really not a whole lot more to be had to be honest but how about.....

Deathmass - Hailing from Pittsburgh (home of the almighty Dream Death) their Prolonging the Inevitable demo comes highly reccomended.

Excruciation - Swiss band who come across as sort of a German thrash (think early Kreator) mixed with Celtic Frost kind of band. I have the Last Judgement EP and it kicks quite a bit of ass. The band put out several demos but broke up in 1991. Reunited in 2005 they now play gothic horseshit of which everything they have released should be avoided like the clap.

Ritual of Agony - Des Moines, IA band comes off as Dream Death with Bob Mayo of Wargasm on lead vocals with the Half Past Dead demo being highly reccommended for that very reason.

Leprosy (NY) - Extremely raw and low-fi Celtic Frost worship albeit with a bit more pep in it's step. If you can stand the occasional dead air, background mumbling and instrument noodling while the recorder was running than seek this out as it's not to bad, not great either, but not bad.

Glycine Max - Crusty version of Dream Death would be the best way to describe them as they come off as HC Punk meets Celtic Frost on Violent Mind/ /Peaceful Heart, their only release.

Cyber Kultur - These Texan doom/thrashers deliver a sort of more Solitude Aeturnus'ish approach to their Celtic Frost worship or at least the vocals lend it a more epic feel IMO. Not too shabby, although a bit of a deviation from the standard doom/thrash style.

Exitus - Fairly solid Finnish doom/thrash although it leans a bit more to the DOOOOM side of things or at least on the Statutum Est Hominibus Mori demo it does. In fact one could call this doom/death only not nearly death metally enough if that makes any sense.

Apparition (NY) - Death/thrash band that dabbles in some DOOOOMIER bits throughout most songs. I have all of their demos of which the 1988 demo as well as Human Fear are my favorites.

[smilie=beer.gif]

:? Now we have doom THRASH? This were I draw the line. :x So I guess now I am starting my own genre Metallica = turd Metal. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:06 pm 
THRASH LUNATIC
THRASH LUNATIC

rustyshackleford1993 wrote:
Interesting...Never heard of this term used before.

Really? How did you describe Celtic Frost, Dream Death, Jim Jones and the Kool Aid Kids, Excruciation etc then??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:14 pm 
THRASH LUNATIC
THRASH LUNATIC

MetalManiac1972 wrote:

:? Now we have doom THRASH? This were I draw the line. :x

Describe this differently then, if you would please, sir....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:15 pm 
UNLIMITED THRASHER
UNLIMITED THRASHER

Pastor Of Muppets wrote:

Really? How did you describe Celtic Frost, Dream Death, Jim Jones and the Kool Aid Kids, Excruciation etc then??

I seen these bands as either thrash or doom. :smt017 I just never knew there was a specific term for doom influenced thrash.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:21 pm 
THRASH LUNATIC
THRASH LUNATIC

Pastor Of Muppets wrote:

I seen these bands as either thrash or doom. :smt017 I just never knew there was a specific term for doom influenced thrash.

DOOOOOM influenced thrash seems a bit unwieldy though doesn't it? As does Celtic Frost Worship. I dunno I've used the term doom/thrash for years to describe the likes of Celtic Frost, Dream Death, Jim Jones et al, Excruciation, etc so the revelation that others had no idea it existed is what I find interesting.

BTW there is Power/Doom as well (Enforcer, Nitefall, Wicked Lester to name but a few)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:24 pm 
Stage Diver
Stage Diver

I was thinking about a previous discussion we had on all the different genres of metal. And was kind of thinking the same thing Rusty statement described. It is also the first time I heard that term of THRASH metal. I have heard Celtic Fost referred to as seminal death/black metal also. I am a huge too Tom G. Warrior/Celtic Frost/Triptykon fan though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:26 pm 
THRASH MANIAC
THRASH MANIAC

Huh, this is enlightening. I can honestly say that I've never really came across this term, I've heard the bands though. It kinda seems to fit.

Although, when I think of doom/thrash I think of some The Sword songs were they have some doomy bits and thrashy bits into the same song, but I guess that's different in its entirety.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:26 pm 
UNLIMITED THRASHER
UNLIMITED THRASHER

I actually do call them Celtic Frost worship bands haha. Either way I'm digging it. Thanks for putting me onto Glycine Max and Jim Jones And The Kool Aid Kids.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:35 pm 
THRASH LUNATIC
THRASH LUNATIC

For me, as soon as I saw the thread title (Doom thrash) I knew immediately that this thread would be about Dream Death, Seventh Angel, Celtic Frost and the like because AFAIC doom/thrash = Dream Death, Celtic Frost, Seventh Angel and JJ and the KA Kids.

Methinks maybe we could use a "genrefication" thread where we can discuss the fine lines between all these kooky back/slash subs (death/thrash, power/trad, etc)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:07 pm 
Thrash Master
Thrash Master

Pastor Of Muppets wrote:
we could use a "genrefication" thread where we can discuss the fine lines between all these kooky back/slash subs (death/thrash, power/trad, etc)

Ooh good idea. Someone get on that!